Friday, July 4, 2014

Japan Day 41: Mountainside Peace

I spent most of today relaxing in the off-campus facility of Showa, which is on a mountain in Yamada. The morning view of the mountains is really nice. You are supposedly able to see Mount Fuji in the distance, but it was too cloudy to see it clearly. However, because of the clouds, it wasn't too hot today!
For lunch, some of the kindergartners from Showa came to play with us. (They were also on a trip to the facility.) They were pretty cute, and sang for us the only song they knew in English– "Let It Go." I thought they were really good at singing! Their English pronunciation was not too shabby. As an outdoors activity, the kids also made curry for our lunch! It actually tasted quite nice for food made by six year olds. There were pickled onions to go with the curry, which I quite enjoyed.
Later, I did some hiking on the mountain. It was a peaceful activity, and I saw many indigenous Japanese fungi and plants.  Hydrangeas are also in season right now; they are nicknamed the "June Flower" in Japan! (I guess they last into July as well!) There was a warning sign with a bear on the mountain, but I was told that the bear is just symbolic. (There are not actually any bears there. Phew!) I also played some baseball with my coworkers. It was my second time ever playing baseball, and I was terrible at the sport the first time around. However, I discovered that I was so bad because I had kept closing my eyes whenever the ball came near my bat! Once I started to open my eyes, it turned out that I was not such a bad player! Later that night, I went to the public bath in the facility. I went early, so no one was in. I had the entire tub to myself; it was like a jacuzzi without jets, and I liked it a lot!

No comments :

Post a Comment