Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Japan Day 37: Tanabata and Korean Barbecue

Today, I was able to learn a lot about Japanese pop culture and fashion because there were three lectures on those topics. They were all pretty interesting, though I enjoyed the lecture on modern Japanese fashion the most. (The professor was from Bunka Gakuen University, a pretty well-known fashion school in Shinjuku.) Also, in preparation for the Japanese star festival (Tanabata) on July 7th, the chief of the Center for International Exchange had a bamboo Wishing Tree installed in the Global Lounge! Traditionally, people hang paper wishes on the tree, and, after the festival, the tree will either be burned or set afloat. I can't wait to write my wish down and hang it! (Update: I hung my wish the next day, and I wished for happiness– 幸福.)
After work, some coworkers and I went out to Korean barbecue near Sangenjaya station! I have to say that the meal was absolutely delicious; the meat was so juicy, and all of the sauces were well-made. Definitely more authentic (and cheaper) than Korean barbecue in the U.S.!

No comments :

Post a Comment