Friday, July 18, 2014

Japan Day 54: Not Goodbyes

Today, I was able to catch a glimpse of my final gnome (floating in the koi pond). If you can remember, there is an urban legend at Showa Women's University that states that, if you can see all seven gnomes in one day, one of your wishes will come true. Before today, I was only able to see six, and I found it interesting that I saw my last gnome on my final day at Showa. Even though I did not see them all on the same day, I hope that my wish of being able to return to Japan will come true.
Later at lunch, many of the friends I made during my trip came to visit and wish me a good trip home. We took pictures, laughed, and promised that our paths will cross again in the future.
At the end of the workday, the office also threw us (the other intern and I) a farewell party with cake and presents/cards signed by everyone in the office. I was very touched by the gesture, and I'm so happy that I was able to work with such great people.
Some more friends visited us at the office and we exchanged gifts of fruit (fancy ones), cookies, and more promises to stay in touch. 
When worked ended, I had my last dinner in Tokyo with my homestay host and other friends. It was so nostalgic to reflect on how much I have learned in Japan and the fun that I experienced. I know that I said a lot of goodbyes today, but now that I think about it, they are not goodbyes. Instead, I think that I made more promises to return to Japan and see all the sights and friends again. さようならじゃない! 日本, またね!

No comments :

Post a Comment