Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Japan Day 45: Ghibli and Aikido

I was able to visit the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka today! The visit brought back so many memories from my childhood, and it was very magical. I think that Ghibli to me was what Disney was to other American children (since I didn't like Disney as much as a child). We were not supposed to take pictures in the museum, which was disappointing, but I still enjoyed the elaborate recreations of famous Ghibli films. At the museum, there is also a special short film that can only be seen at that location. It was about a little girl traveling through the woods, and I thought it was very funny! The museum building itself has great architecture, and I felt like I was in a Ghibli movie!
For lunch, I ate in the nearby area of Kichijoji at a cafe called J.S.Pancakes. I got the avocado and salmon pancakes! The ingredients were fresh, and I enjoyed the herb dressing sauce that accompanied the dish. I have had a similar dish in America, but with salmon and avocado on a crêpe. I really like smoked salmon, so I wasn't surprised that I enjoyed this meal so much!
In the afternoon, we were able to visit the Aikido club, and they showed us how the sport worked (with many impressive flips!) Two club members demonstrated a competition match, and then we learned how to do some basic Aikido moves. It was really great to learn about defense, and I felt stronger afterward!

No comments :

Post a Comment