Monday, July 7, 2014

Japan Day 43: Tsukiji and Maids

Today was such a packed day! This morning, I woke up bright and early to go to Tsukiji Market, which is the biggest wholesale seafood market in the world! I wanted to be able to catch the tuna auctions in the morning, but, unfortunately, I couldn't make it in time. However, it was very interesting walking around the market. There were vendors selling everything from tea-ware to tamagoyaki (Japanese rolled omelet). Many places had samples, so I was lucky enough to try some of the food in the market. I also saw one person sell fresh clams that he cooked with a blowtorch on the spot! For lunch, we settled on getting seafood donburi (rice bowl with fish), which was very delicious. The fish, fresh from the market, tasted like it just came from the ocean!
Later, I went to Ikebukuro, where I was able to visit two interesting places. The first was a store called "Animate," which sold anime goods. As a big anime and manga fan, I was sad to see that there were so many titles that I was unable to recognize (because I haven't been watching or reading as much since college started). However, I still knew the more famous works, and I really liked the atmosphere and specialty goods the store had. I even saw wine themed for an anime series! 
Later, I was able to visit a maid cafe for the first time, which I have been curious about. This was the second interesting place I visited in Ikebukuro, and I am glad I went! There seemed to be a lot of misconceptions about these cafes, but I think that they aren't meant to be creepy, but just for people who want to have fun. The maids certainly seemed like they liked their job of being bubbling and wearing nice clothes. I had a good time too, and even spoke to some of the maids in my broken Japanese (with the help of my friend as a translator). I ordered a cappuccino, and, since I could request anything drawn on it, I asked for a pineapple! Also, we were the first customers (because the cafe opened at 3pm), so they gave us some signed polaroids!
At night, there was a Harvard reception for interns in Japan at the Bvlgari restaurant in Ginza, which was very upscale. There was a lot of mingling, and we were introduced to some incoming freshmen from Japan and graduates who were in Tokyo. It was fun, but, by the end of the night, I was very tired, both from my early waking and from talking so much!

No comments :

Post a Comment