Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Japan Day 10: Caroline Kennedy and A Café

Caroline Kennedy, U.S. Ambassador to Japan and JFK's only living child, came to Showa today! The people in our office managed to get us seats to see her give a speech about "how women can change the world," which was the topic of the assembly. At the event, she gave a 20 minute speech in English, followed by a panel discussion in Japanese (about feminism) that I did not really understand. The language of her speech was pretty simple (probably so that the students in the audience can understand), but she was very eloquent. I was very lucky to get a chance to see her while in Japan! 
The rest of the day was just work, and, for dinner today, I went out to a three-story antique store (called the Globe) that doubled as a restaurant on the first floor. The store had a lot of weird, European-style trinkets, and I really enjoyed the ambiance of the place.
I got a serving of seafood curry (which only had octopus and shrimp), and it was okay in my opinion. The serving size was pretty small. (So far, everything else in Japan seems to come in unexpectedly large serving sizes.) The dish was pretty spicy, which I liked, but it also had beans, which I did not like. The store itself is pretty pricey. I would not recommend buying anything from there, but definitely go if you want to see some pretty things!

No comments :

Post a Comment