Thursday, June 5, 2014

Japan Day 11: The Rainy Season Has Arrived

For breakfast, the Inn was serving the famous melon bread of Japan! I would say that this bread is like the pineapple bread that you can buy in Chinatown bakeries in the U.S., but the flavor is a bit lighter and the bread itself less flaky. Funnily enough, neither types of bread taste like their respective fruits. 
At work, we finished a bit early so I began reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, which I have had for a while but have not read. So far the story is very interesting, and I am looking forward to how the plot will progress. By the time work had ended, rain was pouring outside. This is the first day that it has rained since I have arrived, and it marks the beginning of the rainy season, which usually lasts a month, I've been told. Hopefully, it doesn't rain too much. (The news is reporting floods in western Japan!) The pair of shoes I was wearing today were soaked by the time I got back to the Inn.
We decided to dine at the same mom-and-pop soba shop as we did on Day 4 of Japan because the shop owner was so friendly last time and because it was close-by.  I got the curry rice set, which I couldn't finish because the portion size was so large! The shop owner also gave us free drinks again! (This time it was grape soda that had actually grape chunks in it.) I guess you get perks when you become regulars!

No comments :

Post a Comment