Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Japan Day 17: Becoming Regulars

In a previous post, I had mentioned seeing Japanese pudding (aka caramel flan) being sold sold at Showa's convenience store. Well, today, I decided to try the pudding, and I bought a cup for ¥110. (Strangely, smaller cups of pudding seem to cost less than bigger cups for some reason.) This was probably the best flan I've had; it was more like a sweet tofu than anything else, with a rich creaminess and a many dark notes in the caramel at the bottom. I would definitely recommend trying this while in Japanese!
It started raining really hard again today (so much so that my shoes were completely soaked by the time I got back to the inn), so I went to the same mom-and-pop soba shop that I went to on days 4 and 11. While waiting for my soba and tonkatsu, I read some manga magazines that were in the store. I didn't really understand much, but the drawings were pretty good. I also introduced myself to the owner of the restaurant. She didn't speak English, but she managed to communicate that the other intern and I would come often from the direction of Showa. It seems that we have become regulars of this soba restaurant! We told her that we'd be back soon!

No comments :

Post a Comment