Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Japan Day 24: Traditional Food and Sushi

One of my co-workers in the office took us (the other intern and I) out for lunch today to a nearby traditional Japanese restaurant! The lunch menu for the day included cutlet, seafood, and pork Shabu Shabu (thinly sliced meat), which was what I got. The flavors were all very delicate, and there were many Japanese vegetables and roots that were included in the preparation of the lunch. (The set also had a side salad, seasoned rice, pickles, miso soup, and tofu in soy sauce.) It was a great meal! Afterward, we went to visit a business Professor, and I learned a lot about Japanese business and management (which was surprisingly interesting) and its history (translative adaptation, corporate structure that resulted from the feudal period, etc). The professor gave us some pistachio candy too (from Iran)!
After work, we went out to eat conveyor belt sushi again! This time, there was more variety, and I even had some stewed fish (which was very flavorful). I also plucked up the courage to order ootoro (fatty tuna), which was one of the most expensive dishes there (at ¥500). It was even served on a shiny, almost golden plate! I have to say the the fish was unlike any tuna I had before; it kind of melts in your mouth. It was a good new experience, and I'm glad that I tried it!

No comments :

Post a Comment