Monday, June 30, 2014

Japan Day 35: Homestay in Saitama

I was able to experience a homestay at my friend's house in Kawagoe (Saitama) for a day and night! I had a great time, and I was also able to experience a traditional Japanese lifestyle. For the night, I slept on a futon in a tatami room, and enjoy a nice home-cooked meal! (I was also pretty excited because Saitama is where Shin-chan– a cartoon character from my childhood– lives.)
During the day, my friend took me out to see the sights of the area. She lives in a pretty historical part of Saitama, which is nicknamed "Little Edo" (Edo being the past name of Tokyo). It was a very quaint place with many local shops. I was able to see stores that sold traditional souvenirs, candy, rice crackers, and pickles (which I sampled).
There was also a shrine in the neighborhood, where I stopped by. I saw many wooden wish plates hung in a tunnel of the shrine, and I was luckily able to witness a Shinto wedding being held! The weather was perfect that day for the bride and groom!

No comments :

Post a Comment