Sunday, June 8, 2014

Japan Day 14: Burgers and Shopping

After sleeping in, I started off my day with a visit to Freshness Burger, the Japanese equivalent of In-N-Out Burger. The restaurant is near the Dormy Inn, in Nakameguro, and that was fortunate because it has not stopped raining. I got the classic burger, which was indeed very fresh and well made. They also had a variety of hot sauce condiments; I tried the one named "Death" because I wanted to test how spicy it was. (It turned out not to be very spicy–only a bit more spicy than regular hot sauce.) I would definitely recommend coming here if you are missing American fast food (but also want a high-quality meal).
I spent the rest of the day doing a bit of clothes shopping in Harajuku's famous Takeshita Street and in Jiyugaoka. I've found that Japanese clothes elsewhere (in well-displayed boutiques or department stores) can be really pricey. Japanese women's fashion, I've noticed, tends to be more lacy (as can be seen by the decor of the store below) and feminine than fashion anywhere else I've been to. While shopping, I tried to pick out essential (and also affordable) pieces that I cannot purchase abroad. 
During my trip, I went to both of the Uniqlo's that are in Jiyugaoka. The clothes there were really basic, but also super affordable (which is probably why the chain is so popular and why its founder is the richest man in Japan). I didn't buy anything there since there are Uniqlo's in the U.S., but it was fun to see this iconic brand around. I also manage to find a thrift shop called Klaj (with my cheapskate/hipster-like instincts) in Jiyugaoka where everything was ¥540 (approximately $5.25)! That was my proudest find of the day; everything inside was so cheap yet still stylish. I purchased a romper there, and left super satisfied!

No comments :

Post a Comment