Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Japan Day 30: Calligraphy and Tea Ceremony

Today, I experience two of Japan's traditions: calligraphy and the tea ceremony (sado). It was my first time see both arts in action, and I even got to try writing some words and preparing tea! For my final calligraphy piece, I wrote my family name (with some guidance from a calligraphy club member), and I finished it off by signing my name on the side with my stamp (which I got at the dollar store). 
The tea ceremony was very enjoyable to watch. The grace of the instructor was impeccable, and we were able to witness both the opening and closing parts of a tea ceremony. We also got a chance to try traditional Japanese confectionary sweets, coupled with some green tea that we whisked ourselves!

No comments :

Post a Comment