Thursday, June 12, 2014

Japan Day 18: Omiyage, Seria, and Fish

Today was a surprisingly busy day at work! When we came in, we found a small bunny shaped steamed bean bun on our desks that a coworker left for us! Such a nice gesture! During the day, we went to a couple of classes, and prepared the summer program I am helping to run. We met a lot of Japanese students today, and one student gave us an omiyage (welcoming gift)– a chocolate biscuit with Mt. Fuji on it. It was very delicious!
After work, I visited a 100 yen shop that is right next to Showa. I read on a blog post somewhere that this particular 100 yen shop chain (called "Seria") is one of the "classiest" 100 yen shop chains you could visit. There were a lot of great things at the shop (like household items, accessories, gardening tools, etc, all of which were super cute), and I could not believe how affordable everything was! The items were also very well-made; the Japanese do not mess around when it comes to producing items of quality. 
On my way back to the inn, I got some chirashi sushi (which is basically a bowl of vinegared rice topped with raw fish), and it was the first time I tried sushi prepared like that. The fish here in Japan is super fresh, and I will definitely miss Japanese sushi when I return to the States!

No comments :

Post a Comment